This has been a staple around my mom’s house for celebration breakfasts for about as long as I can remember. Chrismas morning? Sausage casserole. Special guests for brunch? Sausage casserole. Birthday celebration? Sausage casserole. As a result, it’s made it onto my table a time or two. Everyone seems to love it (except my semi-vegetarian sister, of course, who gets her own meat-free version made for her–which is just not nearly as good, by the way.) You can definitely play around with the amount–add more veggies, an extra package of sausage, use turkey sausage, etc. Without further ado…here’s the recipe!
- 1 pkg Jimmy Dean sausage, regular (of course, the kind and amount of sausage can be varied to your tastes…I do prefer the addition of the hot variety)
- 1 pkg Jimmy Dean sausage, hot
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound mushrooms (VERY optional in my opinion…though I do know people who actually like these fungus things)
- 2 cans sliced water chestnuts
- 2 large pkg Uncle Ben’s Wild rice
- 2 envelopes cream of chicken Cup ‘O Soup (My mom has been using the chicken noodle variety because she hasn’t been able to find the creamy version lately, and it still tastes just as great.)
- Approximately 3 cups water
In a large skillet brown sausage, drain.
Combine water, rice and soup mix and allow to simmer over medium heat until the water is mostly absorbed and the rice is almost tender.
Meanwhile, on medium heat, saute peppers, onions and celery with olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook an additional 3 minutes.
Place sausage in 9×13” baking dish. Spread vegetables over sausage. Arrange the water chestnuts over the vegetables. Once the rice is finished cooking spread the rice mixture over the water chestnuts.
Voila! You have a nice layered sausage casserole. Bake covered for about 45 minutes at 350, and then an additional 10 minutes uncovered. You can easily prepare this ahead of time. If you do, plan at least 60-75 minutes of baking time total.