- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced (or a combination of green onions and white or yellow)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4-6 cups potatoes, diced (I used about 8 red potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, or more, as needed
- 1-2 cups ham, diced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp over medium high heat. Remove bacon, leaving drippings and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium, an add onions. Saute about 5 minutes until they begin to soften and add garlic, bell peppers, corn and thyme. Saute another 3-5 minutes. Add chicken stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are soft (about 1 hour, depending on your heat).
Once the potatoes are soft, add almond milk, ham, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with crispy bacon.